Brownies and ice cream served together as one dessert isn’t something unusual. The chocolatey cake goes extremely well with vanilla ice cream, after all.
But have you sampled the two separate items in sandwich form? It is definitely a creative take on the dessert that are commonly served in cafes.
So instead of the ol’ brownie slice and a dollop of ice cream on top, why not enjoy it as a sandwich?
If you’re interested, try the recipe below.
- 1 chocolate fudge brownie mix
- 1.2 ice cream (pick your own flavour!)
- Preheat your oven to 180˚C.
- Prepare the brownie mix as indicated on its box, but replace the water with dark, freshly brewed, coffee.
- Line a 9×9-inch baking tray with parchment paper. Take 1 cup of the brownie batter and place it onto the tray.
- Spread the batter evenly with a spatula so that it forms a thin layer. After that, place another layer of parchment paper on top of the spread batter.
- Using your fingers, carefully and softly smooth out the batter so that there are no air bubbles between it and the paper.
- Repeat steps 3, 4 and 5 in another baking tray so you’ll have two brownie layers. Bake for 14 minutes.
- Once done, take the trays out and remove their top layer of parchment paper from the brownie.
- Then take out the brownie from one of the trays and place it on a cooling rack. Leave the other brownie in its tray.
- Take out your ice cream from the freezer and let it soften for 5 to 15 minutes. Once soft, spread it over the top of the brownie that was left in the baking tray (not the one on the cooling rack!).
- Then take the cooling-rack brownie and place it on top of the ice cream layer.
- Lightly and carefully press the top brownie down onto the ice cream. Place the entire baking tray into your freezer to freeze completely.
- Once done, take out the tray and lift the content out using the bottom layer of the parchment paper. Transfer it onto a cutting board.
- Quick! Trim away the edges and cut the large layered brownie square into eight 2×4-inch sandwiches.
- You can serve immediately or wrap the sandwiches in foil or cling wrap and refreeze for later consumption.