Travelling around a massive country such as the United States of America can be pretty tricky. The place is just so huge that sometimes it is too difficult to even know where to start.
Some people would say that just visiting the bigger cities such as New York, Washington D.C., San Francisco, Los Angeles, Las Vegas and Miami are enough.
Well, the things is, USA is vast that each state has got their own specialities which we shouldn’t miss out on. In almost every state, there are special landmarks which true wanderlusts should definitely visit.
Thankfully, Randal Olson has computed the perfect road trip route for us, so we don’t need to crack our heads to figure out where to go first.
This complete road trip will put you behind the wheel in a total of 224 hours or 9.33 days. That is not including the time spent visiting the places, eating, sleeping, etc. of course.
So, this road trip will take about 2 to 3 months to complete. What a perfect holiday for your summer vacation.
You will cover 13,699 miles (22,046km) as well!
Check out the list of 50 landmarks you can cover here:
- Grand Canyon, AZ
- Bryce Canyon National Park, UT
- Craters of the Moon National Monument, ID
- Yellowstone National Park, WY
- Pikes Peak, CO
- Carlsbad Caverns National Park, NM
- The Alamo, TX
- The Platt Historic District, OK
- Toltec Mounds, AR
- Elvis Presley’s Graceland, TN
- Vicksburg National Military Park, MS
- French Quarter, New Orleans, LA
- USS Alabama, AL
- Cape Canaveral Air Force Station, FL
- Okefenokee Swamp Park, GA
- Fort Sumter National Monument, SC
- Lost World Caverns, WV
- Wright Brothers National Memorial Visitor Center, NC
- Mount Vernon, VA
- White House, Washington, DC
- Colonial Annapolis Historic District, MD
- New Castle Historic District, Delaware
- Cape May Historic District, NJ
- Liberty Bell, PA
- Statue of Liberty, NY
- The Mark Twain House & Museum, CT
- The Breakers, RI
- USS Constitution, MA
- Acadia National Park, ME
- Mount Washington Hotel, NH
- Shelburne Farms, VT
- Fox Theater, Detroit, MI
- Spring Grove Cemetery, OH
- Mammoth Cave National Park, KY
- West Baden Springs Hotel, IN
- Abraham Lincoln’s Home, IL
- Gateway Arch, MO
- C. W. Parker Carousel Museum, KS
- Terrace Hill Governor’s Mansion, IA
- Taliesin, WI
- Fort Snelling, MN
- Ashfall Fossil Bed, NE
- Mount Rushmore, SD
- Fort Union Trading Post, ND
- Glacier National Park, MT
- Hanford Site, WA
- Columbia River Highway, OR
- San Francisco Cable Cars, CA
- San Andreas Fault, CA
- Hoover Dam, NV
This route is planned out so perfectly that you could even skip out the stop at Cleveland if you could travel between Vermont and Michigan through Canada.
Best of all, you can start ANYWHERE on this route! Just as long as you continue according to the route from there onward, you’ll still be right on track.
Check out the route a interactive map here.
Of course, there will always be a little detours in the route here and there, but they aren’t too many to the point where you might feel it is pointless to travel there.
Well, seems like we could have a very comprehensive experience of the USA, eh…